"i carry your heart with me(i carry it in my heart)" E.E. Cummings

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Confessions of a Co-Sleeper


There are some big changes on the horizon for our family.  Let's start with a "Little" history...December of 2011 we welcomed the most beautiful, amazing, precious gift into our lives; our sweet baby girl, lovingly referred to as "Little".  She turned our world upside down in the best way possible and we were left falling into all the parenting cliches and doing all the things we swore we would never do...funny how that happens :)  
Little has never been a great sleeper, in fact we have battled with this since the day we brought her home.  In the beginning we researched every possible answer as to why she refused sleep; was it the bed, noise level in the room, heat, cold, teeth, gas, swaddled, not swaddled, you name it we checked it out.  Even going as far as moving her to another room! Well...that was a lot of work for no reason, she's back in her "old newest" room! Lol Turns out this kid just doesn't like to sleep and as a result we created about a million and one bad habits..the major of them being co-sleeping.  Even as I type tonight there is a sneaky Little sneak trying to steal my pillow.  I started co-sleeping with Little purely out of a selfish need to sleep, the up every 45 mins and back and forth between bedrooms was proving to be hazardous to our safety.  Often times on my drive to work I would find myself falling asleep behind the wheel or not able to remember the drive at all...talk about scary!  I was a space cadet, a walking zombie and generally not a pleasant person to be around.   I'm sure this is a very common persona for all new mom's, except of course any of MY momma friends.  They all have amazing sleepers but also follow the CIO method, to each his own, I'M not ready to go that route yet.  So here we are excatly one year later still not sleeping through the night, still sharing a bed and I have to admit I am officially done!!  I'm positive Little will have another agenda and I know that this will bring back those sleepless nights and I'm sure I will again be that walking zombie with a terrible attitude but this change needs to happen, it's time for a Little someone to finally sleep in her own bed; for more than 2 hours at a time. Wish me luck. 



No comments:

Post a Comment